A vehicle verifier is a person who inspects and records vehicle information for the purpose of registering or transferring the ownership of automobiles, motorcycles, trailers, boats and commercial vehicles.
When Do You Need a VIN Verification
There could be a number of reasons why you would need a VIN verification, here are some situations where you would need to obtain one:
Vehicle purchased out state to be registered in California
- Any person/s who purchase a vehicle from outside of California (non resident) and want to register a vehicle in CA need a vehicle VIN verification in order to receive a CA title.
- Vehicles that have odometer errors or are in need of explanation of the validity of an odometer reading by the Department of Motor Vehicles will be subject to a VIN verification.
Salvage/revived junk vehicles*
- In addition to needing a brake and lamp inspection, all salvage and revived junk vehicles are required to have a VIN verification to be registered in CA.
- *These types of vehicles must be referred to the DMV or California Highway Patrol for inspection*
Who Can Perform a VIN Verification?
The most common vehicle verifiers are
- CA licensed Verifier. These are affiliates such as Redline Registration Services are who officially licensed by DMV. Individuals are encouraged to visit a licensed verifier to avoid long wait times.
- California Highway Patrol